When it comes to creating social media marketing messages, especially those that trigger emotions, it helps to understand the reasons why people spend money in the first place. If you can understand why your audience opens their wallet to buy, you can trigger them to do so whenever you want them to.
* To Portray an Image – People want others to perceive them in a certain way. That need often drives them to buy things to help them keep that image, not only for others to see them that way but also to see themselves that way.
* To Avoid a Bad Feeling – Whether it’s the idea they’ll miss out on something awesome, or some other bad feeling, avoiding a bad feeling is a powerful motivator to buy something. If you can show how your product or service helps your audiences avoid a bad feeling, they’ll be more likely to buy.
* To Gain or Earn Freedom – A good example is a housekeeper or virtual assistant. Is a housekeeper selling a clean home, or more time? Is a virtual assistant selling document processing or more time? If you can be clear about what it is you’re really selling, you can and will entice your audience to buy from you more often.
* To Fit In With the Community – Everyone likes being part of the “in” crowd and part of a community. If making a specific purchase will make them more of a part of the community, they will make it happen.
* Immediate Gratification – People like getting what they want, when they want it. If you can offer them an instantaneous way to give them what they want, they will most certainly take the bait. The important thing is to deliver on your promises.
* To Gain a Sense of Power – When people buy something they view as potentially life changing, they feel powerful and in charge of their lives. If you can offer something super special that solves a very specific problem and evokes feelings of power in your audience, you’ll have a winner on your hands.
* To Prove or Gain Self-Worth – Some people, maybe people in your audience, lack self-worth and need a way to get it. If you can offer them that feeling when they buy your products or use your services, you’ll sell a lot.
* To Solve a Problem – One of the most obvious reasons people spend money is to solve a problem. Show them how your product or service solves their problems, and they’ll buy from you when the price is right.
It’s important to study your audience so that you know how to trigger these feelings within them, and know which ones they use when they choose to buy. If you can find the trigger that keeps your audience from saying no, you’ll explode your business beyond your wildest dreams.
Social Media Specialist
PS - Are you a part of the Blue Pin Community yet? Join us for FREE social media tips!
The goal of this blog is to help small and growing businesses get the most out of their social media presence.